Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Setting Aileron Pushrod Length (0.5)

0.5 hours

The last part of setting up the aileron is to set the length of the short pushrod.  To do this, you set the bell crank at a certain angle (25°), and then put a straight edge on the top surface of the aileron and measure the distance from the straight edge to the top of the wing at the aft edge of the forward skin (74mm is what you want).

I've heard that you can do this by yourself with the wing skin on, but I think it would be pretty tricky.  I did it with the lower skin off and my wife helping, so it was easy!  I started by rigging up some precision measuring tools.

Here's a square that measures 74mm:


And this device sets the bell crank at 25°:






After a few adjustments I got it where I wanted it.


I tightened the locknut and put a blob of paint on it so I can make sure it doesn't move later.  For now, this pushrod and the aileron can go back on the shelf until later!


No comments:

Post a Comment