Monday, September 24, 2018

Glare Shield Installation (3)

3 hours

It took me some head scratching to figure out how to tackle this thing.  I decided that the only way to access everything was to first remove the floor, so I started with that.  I'm really glad I haven't riveted the floor on yet or this glare shield would be a ridiculous pain to install!


Then I installed the glare shield, and from underneath just drilled it to the upper longerons in a few places to hold it.



Then I crammed the little firewall angle into place.  I had to test fit it and trim the ends a few times before it finally fit.  In order to drill the angle to the firewall, I traced the bottom edge of the flange on the back of the firewall, then removed the upper firewall (since I hadn't riveted it yet... thankfully again), and measured up 1/4" from my trace marks to mark the holes.  I drilled those, then reinstalled the upper firewall, and drilled through my holes into the angle.  I think it ended up working pretty well.




Then I fit the panel, which was straightforward except I had to trim the ends a tiny bit to fit inside the glare shield.




I still need to drill the glare shield to the firewall angle and the rest of the upper longerons, but that's just about it for this thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment