Sunday, September 26, 2021

First Engine Run!

 I finally ran the engine!  Here is a video of the first start:


The engine started right up and seemed to run pretty well, although I didn't take it much higher than idle on the first run.

I only noted a couple of issues:

1. The throttle lever didn't have enough friction even with the friction knob tightened pretty ridiculously tight, so if I took my hand off the throttle it would slide back to idle pretty quickly.

2. The RPM reading on the G3X was super erratic and jumped around like +/-200 RPM constantly.

Here's a video from a later run that shows how the RPM jumped around:


I think the issue is the RPM sensor trying to count the flywheel teeth.  I was afraid it would have trouble since I couldn't get it as close to the flywheel as I wanted to, and I also didn't even consider the huge magnetron trigger magnet that must interfere with the sensor.  I will have to move that RPM sensor somewhere else to get a clean signal!

But, for now at least I'm happy the engine runs without any major disasters.

No comments:

Post a Comment