Saturday, November 20, 2021

Propeller (2)

 2 hours

Finally, after just over a year since I ordered it, I have my Prince P-Tip propeller!  I think in the long run I will say it was worth the wait; it looks awesome!




I removed the Sterba loaner prop and the 1/2" spacer I had temporarily installed, and bolted the new prop on.  Here's where it got exciting.  As I mentioned a couple posts ago, with the spacer gone and the prop all the way back at the prop flange face, it is MUCH harder to get the cowl on and off.  I found I was able to round off some edges and do some strategic filing to make the lower cowl possible to install without interfering, however the upper cowl appeared to be totally impossible to install with the prop there.  The aft edge of the upper cowl is supposed to go under the front edge of the windshield skirt, and then you rotate the front down until it meets the front of the lower cowl.  But, until it's all the way in position, the front face of the upper cowl protrudes forward 1/4" or 1/2".  With the prop taking up that space, there's no way to get the cowl on!

I scratched my head over this for a while and finally decided it would be worth it to change how the upper cowl mounts.  For now, I left it perched where it was, just sitting on top but not fastened down.  At least now I can do my weight and balance while I ponder how to fix this issue!

No comments:

Post a Comment