Saturday, April 11, 2020

Wingtip Lights (2)

2 hours

This is crazy but I put these fiberglass wingtips on like 2.5 years ago.  I need to wrap this thing up!  Anyway where I left off here was I had changed the hole location on the right wingtip to improve visibility of the lights from above, and then I fiberglassed over the previous hole.


So today I sanded down the fiberglass and blobs of resin around the hole, and then used Bondo to make the area smooth.  Here's the first Bondo application:


While that cured I installed the nutplates on the other wing to mount the light.  I used K100-6's to mount the little fairings to the wing, and K1000-4's to mount the lights to the fairings.




Back to the right wing, I ended up doing two Bondo applications, sanding with 80, 150, and 220 grit sandpaper in between.  Here's the Bondo done and sanded, and nutplates installed:


Done!  So that was a 2-hour job I procrastinated for over 2 years...  that's pretty impressive even for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment