Monday, December 31, 2018

Fuel Vent Line (2)

2 hours

Before I install the windshield, I need to run this little vent line.  The plans don't exactly spell out where to route it, but from what I could tell it needed to go through the upper longeron, down the inside of the side panel, and through the lower longeron just aft of the landing gear leg.  I called Sonex tech supprt and they confirmed it was OK to drill through the longerons, so that's what I did!

The plans are not super clear on what fittings you need for the fuel lines, so I had to sit down and figure out exactly what to order by browsing Aircraft Spruce.  Here's the final answer:


The vent fitting is a -4 AN flared fitting.  I don't have much experience with these kinds of lines and fittings, but I did know I'd need a flaring tool to create the flares on the ends of the hard lines.  After a few minutes of research, I decided the Rigid model 377 flaring tool was a good choice.  I ordered one from acmetools.com for about $110 shipped, which was the cheapest I could find it.

Anyway, the flaring tool is expensive but at least it's super easy to use.  I tested it on a little piece of line and it seemed to work great so I pressed on!



With that figured out, I went ahead and ran the line from the vent fitting, through the fuselage.  I used a little tubing bender that I already had to create the bends above the glareshield since I wanted at least that area to look nice.  Once it made its way into the fuselage though, I had to pretty much manhandle the line to get it routed all the way through and out the floor.  But in the end it doesn't look too bad.  I secured the line inside the fuselage with three little P-clips.







No comments:

Post a Comment