Monday, January 28, 2019

Main Gear Alignment (1.5)

1.5 hours

Messing with the alignment some more.  I put the plane back on sawhorses, and started taking more precise measurements.  I realized that with the gear legs flush with the top of the engine mount, the vertical distance from the floor to the end of each axle was about 1-1/4" longer than what the plans called for.  My initial reaction was to insert the legs farther to correct that dimension, which puts them about 2" above the top of the engine mount!  After reading some comments on the forum however, it sounds like taildragger Sonex's have too flat of a deck angle on landing anyway, and taller main gear would only help.  I think I'll put them back where they were, and accept the slightly higher nose attitude on the ground.





No comments:

Post a Comment