Saturday, November 23, 2019

Rudder Rigging (2)

2 hours

This was pretty simple.  I put the rudder on with its piano hinge and centered it, centered the control mixer, and then adjusted the cable lengths to keep both parts in the right place.

The only issue I ran into was the rudder drive horn interfered with the corners of of the stop plates at the bottom corners of the tail.  I filed some relief into the corners of the drive horn on each side to fix the interference.  However, the drive horn happens to land on the rivets on the stop plate instead of the flat surfaces of the plates themselves.  I'm not sure if that matters, but if it does I think I will just drill those rivets out and replace them with flush rivets.  I'll figure that out later.



You can see here where the drive horn was running into the corner of the stop plate:


I cleaned up that edge which also helped with the interference.


Working on filing relief into the drive horn:



It's pretty good now but I'll probably do a little more later.


Up front, the next task was to link the rudder pedals to the mixer by completing the cable adjusters I started earlier.  The plans say to put the rudder at the left stop, and the left rudder pedal 3/8" from the floor.  I used a 3/8" drill bit as a spacer, pulled the cable tight, marked it, drilled the hole, and trimmed the cable adjuster.  Then I centered the mixer, centered the pedals, and did the same thing on the right side.  I didn't have the right bolts on hand, but besides installing the hardware this part is done!


No comments:

Post a Comment