Saturday, November 30, 2019

Stabilator Tips (4)

4 hours

Here's a job I've been putting off since I built the stabilators a few years ago!  Ultimately, like so many other jobs I dreaded, it wasn't too difficult once I got started.  It was definitely easier than the fiberglass wing tips at least.

The fiberglass pieces that come with the kit are a bit too large.  The front edge is tapered, so the plans have you cut the bottom off the create to correct overall length.  I couldn't really come up with a good way to measure this, so I just snuck up on it.  I think I ended up cutting off about an inch on each piece.  I used a Dremel cutoff wheel and a belt sander to do it.

The closer piece in this photo is cut to length, and behind that is the other one not trimmed yet.


Next I laid out the holes and drilled each tip to its stabilator.


The other cut I had to make was the clearance on the aft side of each one for the ruddervator.  I carefully snuck up on this cut too, since I wanted to end up with a nice even gap between each tip and ruddervator.  Once I did the initial cut I just used the belt sander to remove a little bit at a time and did several test fits until it looked good.



Each tip gets a rib to reinforce the aft part.  They're the same ribs that are used in the ruddervators, with the forward edge cut off.  You might notice that on the lower assembly in this photo, the rib doesn't reach as far towards the aft point as the other one.  The fiberglass on that one was built up extra thick in the corner, which blocked the rib.  I just got it as close as possible, then cut the forward end of the rib off to make it even with the other one.




One final test fit, and then I riveted the reinforcement ribs in!



1 comment: