Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Fuel Fittings (1.5)

 1.5 hours

With the tank installed again, hopefully for good, I went ahead and installed the fuel level probe and the supply line fittings.

The instructions that came with the fuel level probe didn't have any info about B-model installations, but I quickly realized I'd have to cut the probe shorter for it to fit in the tank (the instructions do describe trimming for a Onex tank).  Anyway I measured the best I could and cut off a few inches.  

The instructions say to use needle nose pliers to flatten the inner brass tube in order to retain the little spacers inside, but I found this to be totally impossible.  Even with much larger pliers I could not flatten the tube enough to stop the spacers from moving!  So hopefully everything stays put, we'll see.  Then I installed the probe.  It was hard to make sure that my trim job was correct and the end of the probe wasn't hitting the top of the tank.  Luckily I have a little inspection camera that I hardly ever use (because it doesn't work very well), so I was able to check that it wasn't touching.

Anyway on to the supply line fittings.  I don't think the instructions were totally clear about what fittings needed to go where, so I sat down and figured it out for myself.  It is kind of convoluted with so many pipe-threaded fittings.

Here are all of those things installed:

The plans call for solid aluminum lines from there to the bulkhead on the firewall, and from the bulkhead to the AeroInjector, but after reading about accidents and fuel leaks, I decided to use flexible lines.  I have some AN6 braided hose left from the oil lines, so I will pick up some appropriate fittings and then use that hose for the fuel supply line.

No comments:

Post a Comment