Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Battery, Garmin Display, ADAHRS, Radio, & GPS Installation (2)

2 hours

I figured there wasn't much need to wait any longer to buy and install an actual battery, so I went ahead and did that.  It just fit right into the box that I had previously installed.  Now I can start testing some of the electrical stuff I've been doing.


Next I installed some of the Garmin components: the GDU 460 display, GSU 25C ADAHRS, GTR 20 radio, and GPS 20A WAAS position receiver.

The GDU 460 fit great in the modified panel!


It's not very deep either.

I stashed the ADAHRS up in the upper forward corner of the right fuselage side skin, above and ahead of the rudder pedal tubes:



I bolted the radio and GPS receiver to the ride side of the baggage compartment, behind the seat.  I plan to put the transponder in about the same place on the left side later.


The remaining things that I have yet to install are the two autopilot servos (mounting already set up but it's on the floor so I'll do them last), the ELT (mounting tray already installed a while ago), transponder (still need to buy one), VHF/GPS/transponder antennas (also still need to order), and the Garmin GMU 11 magnetometer.  The only one I don't really have a plan for yet is the magnetometer.  Garmin specifies a bunch of strict requirements for mounting it certain distances from magnetic items and other electrical components, which I don't think I'll be able to meet on such a small plane.  I will have to do some tests and decide on the best place to put it, but before I can do that I'll need to wire up most of the other stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment