Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Flap Position Sensor (2.5)

 2.5 hours

While shopping for other electrical parts and stuff, I realized I could add a little position sensor to my flap actuator, and wire it right into the G3X system so it would display the flap position on the PFD.  The sensor is a Ray Allen POS-12.

This took a little figuring out but in the end it ended up pretty simple.  I picked a spot on the right side vertical channel, just in front of the actuator, to mount it.  I used a little piece of scrap C-channel cut in half so it's just a small piece of angle pretty much.  That got riveted to the side member, and I screwed the sensor to the bracket.  




For the pushrod, I just picked up a 12-inch "Kwik-Link" rod from an RC hobby shop (I also picked up a couple M3 screws there too to mount the sensor).  One end has a little adjustable plastic connector thing, and the other end is just plain rod.  The plastic connector actually fit perfectly in the sensor.  Once I figured out the length I needed, I bent the plain end into a hook shape and cut off the excess.  Then I just ziptied the hook end to the arm on the flap tube.

Here's how it looks all hooked up:


I ran a 3-conductor wire from the sensor the GEA 24 box on the inside of the firewall.  Once I had the wires hooked up, it was super easy to set up and calibrate on the G3X display.  Here's all I had to do to get it working:


Finally, here's how it looks on the PFD screen!






No comments:

Post a Comment