Thursday, September 17, 2020

Magnetometer (2)

2 hours

I delayed installing the Garmin magnetometer (GMU 11) until I had pretty much everything else connected.  The G3X manual has a bunch of requirements for how far the magnetometer should be from other electrical devices and magnetic (i.e. steel) objects.  In a plane as small as this it's probably not really feasible to meet all the requirements exactly, so I connected the GMU to a long wire and tested it in a bunch of possible locations.  I was surprised to find that just setting it on top of the beam at the back of the baggage compartment produced the least magnetic interference.  Placing the GMU farther aft than that was closer to the control mixer, and what I found was moving the controls produced way more interference than the other electrical stuff I had in the baggage area (flap motor, radio, etc.).

So anyway I made a simple mounting bracket out of a piece of 1.5" x 1/16" angle, and riveted that to the beam behind the baggage area.


This location also made for a short and easy wire run from the GPS box.  The GMU is the last item on the CAN bus!



No comments:

Post a Comment