Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Garmin Pitot/AOA Probe (3)

 3 hours

When I built the wings, I planned on using the stock pitot/static probe on the right wing like the plans call for, and then adding a Lift Reserve Indicator probe in the same place on the left wing.  A couple years later, I decided to go with the Garmin avionics, so now I wanted to install the Garmin GAP 26 Pitot/AOA probe.

The GAP 26 was pretty easy to install, I just had to buy one of these generic pitot tube brackets.  I had a spare round inspection panel just like what I mounted the original pitot tube on, so I cut a hole in that to match the mount, and then I was able to bolt everything together.  I used a laser level to make sure the mount was oriented straight ahead in relation to the wing.  I also primed and painted it before final assembly because it was just bare steel.











I don't have a picture of it, but I wanted a cover for the probe so I ordered this one and it fits the GAP 26 perfectly!

Finally, since this probe does both pitot and AOA, I removed all the LRI stuff from the left wing and covered the hole with another round inspection cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment