Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Secondary Ignition Static Timing (0.5)

 0.5 hours

I should have done this before I even mounted the engine on the plane but I guess I forgot!

The secondary (coil) ignition has adjustable timing, that you adjust by rotating the little cylinder on the back of the engine.  The cylinder rotates with the flywheel, and it has a magnet embedded on the outside that triggers the upper and lower coils when it passes by.


With the turbo behind the engine, you can't really get a straight look at the trigger to see exactly where it is.  I ended up removing it completely and filing a little mark on the outside edge so I could see where the magnet was pointing from the side.


Here's where the manual says to position the magnet.  Kind of hard to see, but I'm sure it's going to take some adjusting later anyway so whatever.


Here's my best attempt, and the most direct view I could get of the magnet's position by jamming my phone between the turbo and the accessory plate!



No comments:

Post a Comment