Wednesday, March 8, 2017

RH Root Ribs (2.5)

2.5 hours

Root rib installation.  Unlike the legacy Sonex plans, the B-model plans have you fit the skins first and then go back and install the root ribs using the skins as a guide to locate them.  This was fairly easy.  The main attach angles and the ribs were all pilot drilled, and the holes lined up well enough that I could get several clecos through each.  Then I drilled the ribs to the pilot holes in the skin. 


With the aft root rib clecoed all the way around, I was able to drill the back end of it to the rear spar attach angle, which was blank.  After drilling into my own finger and bleeding all over everything, I had the root ribs fit!


The last thing to add was the little reinforcement angles that I bent a few weeks ago.  The pilot holes lined up well enough on these parts as well.


Then I removed both ribs to rivet them to the reinforcements and the main spar attach angles.



Then I reinstalled the ribs.  I used new locknuts on the main spar attach angles, since this ought to be the last time they're ever removed.  Finally, I riveted the aft rib to the rear spar attach angle.



Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment