Sunday, March 5, 2017

RH Wing Skins Part 2 (4)

4 hours

Lots more drilling of holes!  I partially updrilled the lower aft skin to regain some silver clecos, and then I got out the forward skin.


I flipped the wing back to right side up, and then drilled the forward skin to the main spar, overlapping the top aft skin.  Since I accidentally already updrilled all the holes yesterday it was kind of a pain, but I just started with the forward skin under the aft skin so I could see the holes, then drilled everything together.  Then I removed the clecos, put the forward skin on top of the aft skin where it belongs, and clecoed it back together.  All the pre-punched pilot holes lined up perfectly so it ended up not being a very big deal.


From there I worked my way forward drilling the skin to all the forward ribs.  Next I had to flip the wing yet again to do the underside of the forward skin.  Per the Sonex instructions, I just used some ratchet straps and a bunch of scrap wood to pull the skin closed.  This was actually a lot easier than the tail surfaces!




The last phase of this operation was to drill the bottom of the skin to all the forward ribs.  This actually was kind of a pain since I couldn't reach most of the ribs to help center them.  I ended up using a long 1x4 to push on the ribs from either end until I could see my sharpie centerlines through the holes.  It was pretty tedious but eventually I got all of them!



No comments:

Post a Comment