Friday, May 5, 2017

Pitot Tube Installation, Part 2 (1)

1 hour

With the 4" inspection hole done, next I completed the pitot tube installation.

I carefully lined up the pitot tube mounting plate on the wing, making sure the tube would point straight forward.  Then I drilled through the four holes in the plate and through the skin.  Next I clecoed a nutplate on the outside of each hole.  Using the nutplates as guides, I drilled each nutplate rivet hole with a #41 bit.  Then I removed the nutplates, dimpled the mounting holes, and drilled each screw hole to 3/16" for clearance with the screws.  Finally I clecoed the nutplates back on the inside of the skin and riveted with the 3/32" flush rivets.





When I first looked at these parts, I wasn't sure how I was going to dimple the holes for the 3/32" rivets.  I have the Sonex simple dimple die, but that's for 1/8" rivets, and I didn't really want to buy a rivet squeezer just for this.  I ended up finding a 3/32" dimple die on Aircraft Spruce that's just like the Sonex one only smaller.  It was like $25 which is kind of silly for what it is, but that was still the cheapest solution I could find!


I assembled the pitot tube to its mounting plate and did a test fit on the wing.  It looks pretty good, but I did find that the screws used to mount the pitot tube plate to the wing strip out really easily, even with a proper size screwdriver.  I think I will replace these screws with hex or torx screws for the final installation later.  For now I'll leave it off the wing so it doesn't get damaged.





No comments:

Post a Comment