Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Aft Fuselage, part 4 (4)

4 hours

More progress!  I now have gotten all of the parts at the tail end (except the rudder hinge) fit.  The small upper angle that ties the tail to the upper longerons proved to be quite tricky to drill, since the pilot holes were on the angle, which was inside the fuselage, and the tailwheel mount blocked any direct shot at it.  I ended up using a long drill bit and flexing it quite a bit in order to get at the hole.  I was pretty impressed by how much I was able to flex the bit!  However, of course right after I took this picture the bit broke in half.  Luckily I had a couple of them and that was the last hole anyway.


I also installed the mixer mount beams and the access panel that goes beneath them.  The access panel ended up being pretty involved!  The mixer mount beams were pre-drilled on the bottom side for all the holes, including the nutplate mounting holes.  So I had to be real careful that everything lined up.  Once I had all the other holes drilled, I ended up just taking the floor skin off and putting the channels on top so I could drill through the existing nutplate rivet holes from that direction.








No comments:

Post a Comment