Sunday, October 22, 2017

Turtle Deck (2.5)

2.5 hours

Time to start installing the turtle deck.  I started by laying out the skin flat on the floor and marking a line 1" in from each edge to mark the required overlap with the side skins.  Then I moved the fuselage to the floor so I had room in set the skin on top.  I carefully clamped the left side in place and and then drilled the holes through the side skin, turtle deck skin, and longeron.






Then I bent the skin over and sandwiched it between the side skin and longeron.  I clamped it in place like the other side and drilled all the holes again.  I thought this was going to be hard to bend like the wing leading edges, but thankfully it was much easier!





Then I took the pallet off my sawhorses and moved the fuselage on top so I could poke my head through the access hatch in the floor and start working on the formers.  I got #5 and #2 installed, which are the easy ones since you can reach in from the ends to get at them!


No comments:

Post a Comment