Monday, October 22, 2018

Glare Shield Covering (1)

1 hour

I didn't get many pictures since my hands were covered in glue, but I went ahead and covered the glare shield in black fabric.  I was debating between this and flat black paint, but I decided to go with fabric since I was sure I'd eventually scratch paint by setting stuff on the dash.  I picked up some matte black, slightly stretchy fabric from JoAnn that worked pretty well.  I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, which is very sticky!  I found that just spraying the aluminum only and applying the fabric didn't work very well at all.  The fabric just lifted right up.  However, a second coat on the metal plus a coat on the back side of the fabric caused it to stick extremely well!  So well in fact that I almost ruined the whole thing by trying to lay it down too quickly.  Anyway, it was kind of tricky but with some help from my wife we got it to lay flat without any wrinkles.  Then I trimmed around the edges with a sharp razor blade.  Now I just need some edging for the aft edge and around the fuel filler cutout and we'll be set.




1 comment: