Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Turbo/Intake/Exhaust (1.5)

1.5 hours

With the firewall sealed up I can finally install some of these large parts that will block access to a lot of it.  Since the turbo sits pretty close to the firewall, I slapped a sheet of this self-adhesive heat shielding on behind it to protect the cabin and fuel tank from some of the heat.



Next I installed the turbo with its gasket and finally tightened it down all the way.  The only minor issue I ran into was the little tab on the wastegate actuator was a tiny bit too thick to allow its retaining snap ring to fit into place.  I filed it slightly thinner and then it fit fine.  Then I installed the exhaust and the turbo heat shield.




Next I installed the intake tubes.  Oddly, even though they go on either end of the same tube, the straight silicone hoses are somewhat larger than the reducers that connect to the intake manifolds.  I checked with Sonex and they're the right parts.  They don't fit as tightly on the intake tubes but they tighten up fine with a hose clamp.


Next thing was the big intake elbow to connect the AeroInjector carb to the turbo.  I will have to mess with the orientation of the carb later to make the throttle and mixture cables line up correctly.


Out of the box my turbo exhaust exit caused the lower part of the exhaust to significantly run into the engine mount.  I took it to an exhaust shop and they straightened the 90-degree bend slightly for a case of beer, and now it fits.






No comments:

Post a Comment