Friday, May 21, 2021

GDL 50 ADSB Receiver (3)

 3 hours

I have the required ADSB-Out on my GTX 35R transponder, but the traffic and weather data you can receive is so useful that I wanted a receiver as well.  I found this Garmin GDL 50 on sale while I was away, which will interface nicely with my G3X stuff, and I can also take it with me when I fly other planes or whatever.

I bought the wiring harness for the GDL too, which allows it to receive power and send data to the G3X.



It came with a little dock, which I mounted on top of the glare shield.


I passed the cord through a grommet, and secured it with an adel clamp.  The power wire had an inline fuse holder, but I cut that off to get everything through the hole, and then reattached it later on the other side.


Here it is in its dock:


Underside view:


Here's the wiring info.  All I needed out of all these wires was power and ground, and one of the RS-232 in/out pairs to connect to the GDU 450 display.


The wires are tiny (26 awg)!  I cut off and secured with heat-shrink the wires I didn't need, then separated the power/ground and directed them one way, leaving the RS-232 wires to proceed in the other direction (to the connector on the back of the G3X display).

I connected the power wire to my "Aux Power" switch on the panel, which will power the GDL, iPad dock, and the USB ports.  I reused the inline fuse holder with it's 3A fuse as well.


Here's the final product!  Once I configured the GDU to look at the RS-232 input, it recognized the GDL right away and added traffic and weather screens to the flight display.


It appears to work!  Traffic spotted a few miles southwest of my house at about 700' AGL.



No comments:

Post a Comment