Saturday, May 29, 2021

Heated Seats (8)

8 hours

This took way more time and effort than it probably should have!  I ordered the heated leather seats from Sonex, but I wasn't sure what switch they were going to come with.  The best estimate I could come up with was a switch like this, since that's what appeared to be on the factory B-model plane.

I  wanted to finish the panel earlier, so I needed to cut a hole for the switch.  I didn't want to buy the seats yet at that time, so I just ordered one of those switches so I could make the right size hole and make sure everything would fit.  Of course, when I bought the seats, they came with totally different switches, that looked like this.

I wanted to use the rectangular switch that I bought, since I already cut the panel for it, so then I had to figure out how to wire the seats to that switch.  I asked the seller, and got some instructions that I thought were pretty confusing at first, but actually made sense in the end:


After some head scratching and experimenting, I figured out this is how I needed to connect it:


I wasn't really totally sure what I was doing, so I hooked everything up to a power supply to test it.  Everything appeared to work!


All I really used from the wiring that came with the seats was the little connectors that hooked up to the heating elements in the seats themselves.  Everything else I just made on my own.  The stock harness didn't strike me as very nice quality anyway.


I mounted the relay to the upper longeron close by, behind the panel:


I ran the wires with the little pre-made connectors to the seat and temporarily zip-tied them in place:


Finally the seats are done!


No comments:

Post a Comment