Monday, June 7, 2021

Fuel Tank Leak Test (0.5)

 0.5 hours

I am just about out of reasons not to rivet the floors on!  Before I do though, I want to make sure the new fuel supply line that I built is all good.  I needed a way to check the whole fuel system for leaks.

I found a perfect gadget in the plumbing section at Home Depot, this fitting with a 0-15 psi pressure gauge and a shroeder valve on the end.  I bought that, and a couple of NPT bushings so that I could attach it to the end of my fuel line that connects to the carburetor.


I clamped a piece of hose on the vent line to seal that end off too.


I pumped up the system to just a couple of psi, and soon noticed it wasn't holding pressure for very long.  I sprayed some soapy water on all of the many joints, and eventually found the culprit at the Oops fitting on the tank.


I tried loosening and tightening the Oops fitting a few times but never really got it to seal.  I thought the o-ring was the problem, but eventually realized the air was just escaping through the threads between the fitting and the nut.  I removed the nut completely and added some EZ Turn fuel lube to the threads, reinstalled the nut, and it sealed right up!

No comments:

Post a Comment