Wednesday, June 16, 2021

VHF Antenna (2.5)

 2.5 hours

The only tricky part of installing this antenna was figuring out where to put it, and how to route a coax cable to it from the radio, which is on the right side of the baggage area.

I used a Comant CI-122 antenna, and planned to mount it on the floor.  I wanted to put it as far forward as possible for ground clearance, but I found that if I put it forward of the main spar tunnel, it would be a lot more complicated to get the cable to it, and there'd also be nowhere to put it where it couldn't be kicked by someone in the cockpit.  I decided to put it just aft of the spar tunnel, and just to the right of center near the pitch servo.  That kept it out of the way of the controls, and I think I'll be able to reach it through one of the autopilot servo access panels if I ever need to remove it.  I used some rubber grommets wherever the cable passed through anything.

By the way, this is the last wire on the whole plane (I think)!!




No comments:

Post a Comment