Saturday, January 28, 2017

Ailerons Part 4 (4)

4 hours

The RH aileron is just about done!

I picked up a 12" long 1/8" drill bit at Ace Hardware which allowed me to drill the holes on either side of the counterbalance.  I think next time I place an order from Aircraft Spruce I'll get a few long #40 and #30 bits for the future.


 To get the holes between the two counterbalnce plates I had to remove the lead block.  I'll leave it out until the rivets are pulled.


Fitting the tip rip took a bit of messing around but I eventually got it looking pretty decent.  It helped to grab the rib from the inside through the big slot where the counterbalce goes through, until I drilled into my own finger!  More blood offerings to my workbench surface.


Once all the holes were drilled I took it back apart for deburring.  I used a soldering iron and a straight edge to remove the plastic coating from the skin along each roll of holes.


Then I just had to reassemble and rivet the whole thing...




For the few rivets around the drive rib and counterbalance weight, I found a super thin rivet puller that other builders have used, called a PRG 410:


I picked one up on ebay for $16 shipped.  Once I get that thing I'll go back and pull these last few rivets.

No comments:

Post a Comment