Sunday, January 8, 2017

Right Main Spar Part 3 (2)

2 hours

Now that I got my 1/2" reamer in the mail, I was able to go back and drill the RH wing attach blocks up to 1/2".


Then I bolted the attach blocks to the RH spar, and the next step was to carry the 1/2" hole through the spar.  Sonex includes a "drill guide" with the kit, which is a piece of steel tubing with a 1/2" OD and 3/8" ID.  The drill guide wouldn't quite fit into the holes in my wing attach blocks, so I chucked it into the drill press and hit it with some sandpaper until it would just barely fit without getting stuck.

This is as far as the drill guide would go initially.

After a bit of sanding, the drill guide fits into the holes in the attach blocks with no slop!

Once of the attach blocks bolted to the spar.  In the center is the pilot hole in the spar which needs to be updrilled to 1/2".
Pilot hole updrilled to 3/8" using the drill guide.  It's actually perfectly centered, it's my picture that' crooked!
I don't have a drill big enough to hold my 1/2" bit, so I'll have to borrow one.  The next step will be to mate the spars together and carry the the 1/2" holes all the way through the LH spar and attach blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment