Thursday, January 12, 2017

Spar Mating Part 1 (0.5)

0.5 hours

I borrowed a drill from a co-worker which could hold a 1/2" bit, so I was able to do the final drilling out to 1/2" on the RH wing attach blocks.

Next I started getting the spars ready for mating!

The pilot hole in the middle of this 1/2" hole goes all the way through the LH spar web and the attach block bolted to the other side.  Eventually it will be drilled out to create a 1/2" hole through the whole thing.  There's another one of the same thing a couple feet to the right of this picture.
There are three small holes in each spar web which line up when the attach blocks are lined up, so I cut off three pieces of piano hinge wire and used them to align the holes.

Initial layout of the two spars

Piano hinge wire bits used to align the three small holes

The instructions say to drill out those three holes to 1/4" while the spars are clamped together.  I think what I'll do is drill them to 3/16" initially, and then bolt the spars together with some of the AN3 bolts I have on hand.  That should help everything stay aligned while I drill out the 1/2" holes.  After that I can go back and drill these three to 1/4".

Observe the majestic full wingspan!  These bar stools ended up being the perfect height to support the ends of the spars.

Here's where I am so far on the main spars.  Note that assembled spars come standard with the B-model kit, so this is pretty much the whole main spar build.

No comments:

Post a Comment