Friday, January 13, 2017

Spar Mating Done (2.5)

2.5 hours

Spar mating complete!

I stopped at the hardware store and picked up some 1/4" and 1/2" bolts to help me secure the spars together for mating.

I started by drilling the three alignment holes up to 1/4" like the plans call for, then I bolted the spars together through them.


This put the 1/2" holes in the RH wing attach blocks and the pilot holes in the LH spar in pretty much perfect alignment, as far as I could tell.



Next, I used the drill guide to drill one hole up to 3/8", then I drilled that hole up to 1/2".  With the first hole done, I put a 1/2" bolt through it to further hold everything together.  These are not the bolts that will eventually hold the wings on the plane but they will work for this!





Then I drilled the other hole!


With both 1/2" bolts in, the spar assembly is rock solid!!!


The obligatory "Mated Spars" photo

The last step is to install these wing rigging blocks.  They aren't structural, but they will help guide the two spars into alignment with each other when I install them in the fuselage later.



Done!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment