Thursday, December 29, 2016

Left Rear Wing Spar (1)

1 hour

I came back this afternoon and knocked out the left rear spar.  It went faster than the first one, but I did make one mistake; I attached the root rib attach angle backwards (I made it the same way as the right spar, but it should be the opposite).

I flipped it around but since I drilled the holes backwards, that puts the angle about 3/32" higher than it's supposed to be on the spar.  I think it'll still work since there's more slop than that when you fit the aft root rib, but I emailed Sonex to make sure.  Worst case I'll have to replace that little angle.


Here is what I messed up.  The root rib attach angle on the left spar (bottom one in this picture) is oriented like the right one, but it was supposed to be flipped around so the flat side faces inboard.

With the attach angle flipped around, the holes still line up, but the part is shifted slightly up on the spar (to the left in this picture).  The top edge of the angle is supposed to line up with the top edge of the plate below it, but it's about 3/32" off now.  I'll have to find out if I can get away with this or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment