Saturday, December 31, 2016

Rear Wing Spars Done (1)

1 hour

Now that I have my hardware I was able to put the last two bolts in each rear wing spar assembly.  I did run into a small problem that I kind of expected, and that was the bolt holes in the root rib attach angles were too close to the radius of the angle for a nut to sit flat.

Not a big deal, I just had to whip up four little blocks with a rounded edge, and use longer bolts.  I'm pretty sure the legacy Sonex/Waiex plans have you do this anyway, but they aren't called out on my B-model drawings.  If you flip to the page where it shows the root ribs attached to the rear spars though, they still show up.

See how the nut can't sit flat because the radius is in the way.

Here's one spacer done.

Another example.  I swapped out the AN3-5A bolts for -7A's to make up for the extra thickness.

Done!

Here's a diagram later in the build process, and you can see the blocks I just built shown here!

No comments:

Post a Comment