Friday, December 30, 2016

Right Main Spar Part 2 (1)

1 hour
Now that I have my hardware I can bolt all these parts to the main spar.  I got the outboard reinforcing angle and tie down fitting done, as well as the 8 bolts holding the inboard bottom edge of the spar web together.

I think until I get the wing attach blocks finalized, that's about all I can do on this side for now!

On the tiedown fitting, the plans call for a washer both on the nut side and the bolt head side.  I found that this resulted in the bolt barely making it all the way through the nut (the closest two nuts in this picture).  So I removed the washer from the bolt head side where required to get the proper amount of protrusion.  Now all of them have about two threads sticking out.

These 8 bolts are very close to the spar cap, so I used a punch and a mallet to tap them in.

Torquing these nuts was even tighter.  The only way I could manage to do it was by holding the nuts with this tiny wrench, and putting the torque wrench on the bolt side.  Luckily the required torque is so low that it wasn't very hard to hang on to the nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment