Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Case Assembly 3

3 hours

I finally have all the main bearings so the crank dropped right in!


I noticed some slight interference between the crank and the case in just one spot:


I colored all over that area with a sharpie and then turned the crank to see where it scraped the ink off.  Then I pulled the crank out, covered everything up, and ground the high spots off in that area with a Dremel tool.



Then I cleaned everything up again and reinstalled the crank along with the cam.


Next I installed the flywheel and measured the gap between it and the rear bearing in order to determine how many shims to install later to set the end play.



Finally, I took the flywheel back off and applied the specified sealant all around the case halves, and put them together!



The one issue I had was that the lifters on the left side really wanted to slide out when I flipped that half of the case over.  I couldn't find any suitable tools to hold them, but by some ridiculous contortion of my hands and arms I managed to hold each one with my fingers while I mated the case.  If I ever do this again I'll plan ahead and find four clothespins!


No comments:

Post a Comment