Monday, May 18, 2020

Trimming Head Studs (1)

1 hour

Once I had the heads preliminarily torqued to 10 ft-lbs, I observed how much excess length remained on each stud.  I had threaded each stud into the case until it bottomed out finger tight, by the way.  I put a dab of paint on each stud to mark how much stuck out past the nuts.

Just like what's shown on the DVD, I had to trim both upper inner studs for the intake manifold, and then all the lower studs except the far left one for the rocker shaft.  So five studs per side.



I just unthreaded the whole stud out of the head, one at a time, and brought each one outside to cut with an angle grinder.  I left a couple of threads past the paint mark and that allowed plenty of room.


Weight savings

Then I brought each one back in, cleaned up the cut end, reapplied sealant to the case end, and reinstalled the stud into the case.  Don't remove the nut from the stud, just thread it all the way down so it's out of the while while cutting.  If you remove it, it could be tricky to thread it back onto the cut end!  Anyway I did that for each stud one at a time, and then I torqued both heads to their final values.




No comments:

Post a Comment