Tuesday, May 5, 2020

More Engine Case Prep (3)

3 hours

Still waiting for my crankshaft, but there were a few more little tasks I could get done in the meantime.

I installed all the various little covers and plugs that come with the kit.  One note, the instructions tell you to drill and tap one of the plates for the M14-1.5 oil temp sender.  My plate was already drilled and tapped so double check before you go buy an M14 tap like I did!


Next I installed the oil pressure control plungers.  Both of them stuck quite a bit in the case initially, so I polished them over several iterations with 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper until they moved freely before installing them for good.  I found that if one really gets stuck, you can very carefully thread a tap into the open bottom of the plunger just a tiny bit to grab it and pull it back out.  The tap that came with my Time-Sert kit was actually the perfect size for this.


I also assembled the cam gear onto the camshaft.  The torque spec is 20 ft-lbs for each bolt, which I found kind of hard to do by myself.  I ended up having my wife turn the wrench so I could hold the gear against the workbench with both hands.


Finally, I installed the cam bearings in the case.  Just like the manual says, there's no machining to accommodate the locating tab on one of the bearings on the right case half, so I carefully just filed the tab off.



No comments:

Post a Comment