Saturday, May 16, 2020

Cylinder Head Installation (1)

1 hour

Installing the heads was pretty straightforward.  Just don't forget the super tin and pushrod tubes!

I started by slightly extending the ends of each pushrod tube.  The ends are pretty hard to hold onto, but I found a tip on the VW forum of just clamping a socket in a vise and putting the tube over the end of it, then wiggling it around to gradually extend the tube.  The main thing was to be careful not to deform the end of the tube.  I've heard these things are finicky and prone to leaking!



After that I put the head gaskets in each head, got the head started on the studs, installed the super tin, wrangled the tubes into place, and then gradually tightened the nuts to get the head seated.  I torqued the head studs to 10 ft-lbs.  Before I continue I will need to trim the excess length from some of the studs, so that will be next!



No comments:

Post a Comment