Sunday, July 19, 2020

Exhaust Wrap and EGT Probes (2.5)

2.5 hours

Next thing was to wrap the exhaust and install the EGT probes.  I drilled a hole for each probe 4" from each exhaust flange along the center of each pipe, according to the Sonex instructions.  I'm using Dynon probes, which is not exactly what Garmin recommends, but they're a lot cheaper so we'll see how they hold up.  I found that a #29 drill was the right size for these probes.


Once I had a hole drilled in each tube I went ahead and wrapped the whole exhaust.  I did the short tubes for cylinders 1 and 3 first, starting at the bottom and working toward the heads.  Then I did the tube that runs across the back of the engine up to cylinder 2.  Finally, I wrapped from the turbo all the way to #4.  I used a bunch of temporary zipties to hold everything in place as I went, and then finally a hose clamp at each end of each run once it was all wrapped.

To install the probes through the wrap, I marked where each hole was as I was wrapping, and then went back and poked around with a straight pick until I found the hole.  Then I was able to easily get the probe through the wrap and into the hole.






The 50-foot roll of wrap that came with the engine ended up being just enough to do the whole exhaust manifold plus the 2-piece turbo exhaust.  I'll probably redo the lower detachable pipe later once I see exactly where it crosses the cowl, since I won't want any wrap hanging out in beyond that.  Plus I ran out of hose clamps anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment