Sunday, July 26, 2020

Tank Re-Installation (1)

1 hour

I want to install the throttle and mixture cables next, but I need the throttles out of the way to get the tank in and out.  I'm 99% sure I'm done riveting things to the upper firewall, so I went ahead and put the tank back in so I could reinstall the throttles.

I'm glad I did end up having to pull the tank, because while carrying it around I noticed a bunch of debris rattling around inside.  After some investigation, I discovered that the brass plug I had installed in the large fuel supply fitting (just to keep dust and stuff out) had corroded the aluminum fitting and created a bunch of flaky deposits.  I removed the bulkhead fitting and ordered a new one to replace it, and then gave the tank a real good flush with the garden hose.  Finally, before I re-installed the tank (hopefully for good), I put a few pieces of teflon anti-chafe tape along the upper front edge, where it's very close to the firewall.  Then I put it back in the plane!


No comments:

Post a Comment