Saturday, September 23, 2017

Forward Longerons (5)

5 hours

I started with the lower longerons, which were pretty easy.  They're just 1" angles that needed to be cut to length and then get a 30° angle on the forward end.  Simple!


The upper longerons were not so simple!  These parts are square tubing, and they each neeed three slots cut in one side, a chunk taken out of two sides on each end, and a 30° angle on one end.

For the slots, I I drilled a bunch of holes close to each other on the drill press, connected them with a dremel cutoff wheel, and then did some filing.  I got sick of filing with my tiny file so I got them part of the way and then worked on the ends.



For the ends, I used a combination of dremel cutoff wheels and a hacksaw at an angle to get most of the material removed.  I realized later that drilling a hole in each corner and then connecting them was much easier than trying to file all the way to the corner!  Anyway these also still need a bunch more work but I got sick of looking at them so I moved on.



After that, I put the 30° angle on the end of the RH piece, but as soon as I finished I realized I had put it on the wrong end!  So I'll get to do that whole right side longeron again.  After that debacle I had to call it a day on these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment