Monday, September 4, 2017

RH Wingtip Light Fix (1)

1 hour

I realized when I did the LH wingtip light that if I centered the light vertically on the fiberglass rib, it wouldn't be visible at all from above.  Unfortunately, that's exactly how I did the RH wingtip a couple months ago, so I had to go back and fix that.


I started by cutting a new access hole at the new light location, so that I could reach the back of the old hole. 


Then I went to Autozone and grabbed one of these fiberglass repair kits.  The piece of fiberglass cloth it came with was just big enough to get 12 layers worth out of it, so we'll see if that does it!



I took a piece of flat aluminum plate, and put a few coats of car wax on one side to help the resin not stick to it.  Then I taped it over the old hole as a backer.



Finally, I mixed up some resin and did my best to get each layer nice and flat on the inside of the wingtip.  I think I did about as well as I could have, but we'll see how it looks later!

No comments:

Post a Comment